Under the supervision of the Head of EAL, the EAL teacher collaborates with class teachers to support the EAL development of students in assigned classes.
Teaching and Learning
1) Co-plan and co-teach whole class, small group, and individual lessons for EAL learners across the curriculum in collaboration with classroom teachers;
2) Differentiate instruction to meet student’s individual learning needs and styles in collaboration with classroom teachers;
3) Employ a constructivist, inquiry-based pedagogical approach to teaching and learning that promotes inquiry and the development of critical-thinking skills;
4) Provide learning experiences that build on what students know and can do;
5) Support the development of international-mindedness and all attributes of the IB learner profile within the curriculum;
6) Use technology as a vehicle for learning and integrate ICT skills teaching within EAL instruction where appropriate;
7) Employ a range of teaching and learning strategies to promote independent thinking, inquiry and acquisition of subject specific knowledge and skills;
8) Foster a stimulating learning environment based on understanding and respect.
1) Demonstrate open communication based on understanding and respect;
2) Develop and maintain clear lines of communication with colleagues, parents and the wider school community;
3) Use professional email etiquette when communicating with colleagues, parents and Administrators.
1) Collaborate with classroom teachers and subject and grade teams on EAL instruction;
2) Attend and contribute to weekly Collaborative Planning meetings;
3) Attend and contribute to weekly EAL meetings and help to develop policies, assessments, and other components of the whole school EAL program.
1) Be familiar with:
- the SWIS Mission Statement;
- the IBO mission statement;
- the standards and practices of the PYP and MYP;
- All Scope and Sequence Documents;
- Program of Inquiry;
- the contents of the IB learner profile booklet;
- The contents of the Making the PYP Happen / MYP: From Principles into Practice.
2) Keep accurate records of planning assessment and for assigned classes.
1) Assess and document student progress using a variety of assessment tools and strategies;
2) Participate in parent/student interviews and conferences when it is appropriate.
ReportsThe EAL teacher reports to the EY&P Principal.