EY&P PE Teacher
As well as providing pastoral care for their students, the PE Teacher’s primary role is to plan, prepare and teach the SWIS PE curriculum under the guidance of the EY&P PE Team Lead. With support and guidance from the EY&P PE Team Lead, all classroom lessons for designated grades should be designed and planned by the PE Teacher.
Teaching and Learning
1) Plan, teach and review the PSPE Curriculum (where appropriate through the context of Responding and Creating skills, Units of Inquiry within the Program of Inquiry).
2) Differentiate classroom instruction to meet student’s individual learning needs and styles.
3) Explicitly teach on-going and trans-disciplinary skills.
4) Employ a constructivist, inquiry-based pedagogical approach to teaching and learning that promotes inquiry and the development of critical-thinking skills.
5) Provide learning experiences that build on what students know and can do.
6) Support the development of international-mindedness and all attributes of the IB learner profile within the curriculum.
7) Use technology as a vehicle for learning and integrate ICT skills teaching within Units of Inquiry where possible.
8) Employ a range of teaching and learning strategies to promote independent thinking, inquiry and acquisition of subject specific knowledge and skills.
9) Promote and foster student reflection on learning experiences.
10) Employ a range of grouping and regrouping of students for a variety of learning purposes.
11) Foster a stimulating learning environment based on understanding and respect.
12) Empower students to take self-initiated action as a result of the learning.
1) Demonstrate open communication based on understanding and respect;
2) Develop and maintain clear lines of communication with colleagues, parents and the wider school community;
3) Use the Communication Book to communicate with Parents where necessary;
4) Use professional email etiquette when communicating with colleagues, parents and Administrators.
5) Contribute to specific Grade level and general newsletters as necessary to facilitate effective delivery of the PSPE Program.
6) Assist or lead in parent information sessions as related to specified curriculum area.
1) Attend and participate in PE Department meetings;
2) Where feasible attend weekly Collaborative Planning meetings with appropriate Grade levels and contribute ideas related to the UOI and PSPE skill development;
3) Work collaboratively EY&P PE Team Lead to develop and document teaching and learning experiences using the PYP Planner and relevant curriculum documents.
1) Be familiar with:
- the SWIS Mission Statement;
- the IBO mission statement;
- the standards and practices of the PYP;
- All Scope and Sequence Documents;
- Program of Inquiry;
- the contents of the IB learner profile booklet;
- The contents of the Making the PYP Happen.
2) Update and save all PYP UOI planners to the server, ensuring all sections are completed.
3) Save all Weekly Plans to the server.
1) Assess and document student progress using a variety of assessment tools and strategies;
2) Complete student reports;
3) Participate in parent/student interviews and conferences;
4) Manage and maintain student Portfolio selections for PE and be responsible in the compilation and effective storage of samples.
5) Pre-assess students’ knowledge and understanding prior to new learning;
6) Use student self-assessment, peer assessment and teacher assessment strategies to promote student reflection.
1) Routinely inspect and monitor sports equipment and classroom equipment for health and safety, reporting issues as they arise to EY&P PE Team Lead.
2) Ensure rooms are kept in a manner that allow for effective sharing of resources and timely set up/pack down.
Assemblies, Co-curricular and Games/Tournaments
1) Support Grade levels as needed, in preparation for assembly items, after school teams and matches/tournaments
2) Promote, support and administer ensembles within the co-curricular sports program;
3) Support EY&P PE Team Lead, staff and administrator(s) in preparation, presentation and pack-down of sports games and events.
1) The EY&P PE teacher reports to the EY&P Principal.