Explore SWIS > School News
Spending time as a family unit is an investment for the future. Children in families that participate in activities together are more likely to be balanced and have less stress in their lives. A Families communication is healthier by showing more affection towards each other and they tend to fare better in their daily lives. Below are some suggestions to improve your family life.
- Spending time in family leisure activities is associated with greater emotional bonding and security within the family. A family's leisure activities can not only improve and model cohesion but provide a safe and secure environment to take risks and relate to a family's ability to adapt.
- Children that participate in family activities together are more likely to express love and affection between their members. Family participation in activities at least once per week is associated with greater expression of love or affection between the parents.
- Parents of families in which both the parents and children participate are more likely to know their children's social networks. They are more likely to know their children's friends, those friends' parents, and their children's teachers.
- Children's academic success is associated with having mothers who frequently communicated with them. Hey mom, this involves talking with your children, listening to them, modeling behavior and finding out answers to their questions.
- Children whose fathers spend time with them doing activities often have better academic performance. Preteens whose fathers spent leisure time away from the home (picnics, movies, sports, etc.), shared meals, helped with homework or reading, and engaged in other home activities earned higher grades in school.
- Adolescents whose parents are involved in their lives tend to exhibit fewer behavioral problems. Parents showing an interest about and in their children's lives, encouraging their interests, offer good advice, exhibit fewer difficulties in behavioral adjustment and are less likely to engage in negative behaviors.
- Children's caregivers who are home after school and in the evening are less likely to experience emotional distress. Factors such as having parents who engage in activities and who had high, reasonable expectations showed increased academic performance.
Here are some suggested activities to do with your family this weekend.
- Go bowling.
- Go fishing.
- Ride a bike.
- Ride a horse.
- Go on a picnic.
- Fly a kite.
- Go to the cinema.
- See a movie.
- Visit a museum.
- Bake together.
- Start a project.
- Begin a puzzle or model.
SWIS School Counselor (Pre-K – Gr 12)